8.6.09

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Occasionally I come across a book that seems to be speaking directly to me. No, not in the crazy way, but with such alarming accuracy that the words seem anticipated. The Unbearable Lightness of Being has been around for quite a while and has even spawned an arthouse softcore movie version. So armed with my prejudices, I waded bravely into this book never expecting the intensity and beauty that it would conjure. Sexy existentialism seems a unlikely combination but Kundera blends both with skill. The characters in this book are so vivid and unique that there could be a sequel where they all did nothing but sit around drinking tea and I would still read it. This book has become the literary equivalent of I Heart Huckabees in my list of favourites. Beautiful.

This book is not for everyone, in fact, this book is not for most people. It will offend and disturb a good section its readers. To explain the book would take much more patience than you, dear reader, are likely to want to spend here. Suffice to say that it is not what it seems at first. I would recommend this book to bitter romantics, ballsy women and beleaguered men. There is salve for all wounds in Kudera's words.

No comments: